July 1-31, 2015
• T.Lab Summer Hours
Our proposed summer schedule has been established. We are seeking immediate feedback from you. Summer weather and vacations has reduced demand for our services, therefore we are proposing the following summer tutoring schedule:
Monday through Thursday, 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Saturday, 9 AM – 1 PM
Please let us know your thoughts on this schedule.
We would begin operations on Monday, July 20, 2015.
• Academic Summer Camps
We have received excellent feedback on the quality and effectiveness of our summer camps. The 3rd-6th Grade Camp was held last week. The 7th-9th Grade Camp began today, Monday, July 13, 2015. The immediate response has been very positive.
T.LAB is hosting the final camp series for FY 2015 next week. This camp will include students in grades 10th – 12th. The high school student fee is $350 per student.
Please use the constant contact link to register for summer camp sessions.
• ACT Workshop
An ACT Workshop will begin on Saturday, July 18, 2015 @ 7:15 AM.
Sessions begin with a four-hour ACT test simulation. From Monday, July 20 – Thursday, July 24, 2015 – students will participate in online tutoring sessions, from 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM. Links to the tutoring sessions will be provided to “registered students” only. Below, please find a link to register for the ACT Workshop.
The results from the June ACT Test were outstanding! The median ACT score among mostly 10th Grade Students is 27!
• Technology Certification
T.Lab has been approved for several technology certification programs including: 1) Microsoft; and 2) Apple. T.Lab can offer courses and certification test. We have ten (10) students pursuing certification in both technology groups. These certifications and skills are in high demand. If you are seeking to enhance your skills or looking for a new career – please contact us at 888 327-3387 Ext 0.
• New Student Management System
The new Student Management System including learning plans, leadership assessment, and skill improvement. The system is available for immediate use. Training for the system is available on T.Lab’s YouTube Channel. As well, onsite training sessions will be held on Wednesdays, beginning July 15, 2015 – from 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM. Please access the links below to access or register for training:
Student Quarterly Review Sessions
T.LAB has been conducting review sessions with parents and students during the months of April, May, and June 2015. The purpose of the meeting is to confirm academic performance for 1st Quarter 2015, while confirming new student goals for the months of June through September 2015. If you have not participated in a quarterly review session, please contact Sherry Meruena at 888 327-3387 ext. 0. Failure to participate in a quarterly review session will result in suspension of tutoring services.
• Parent University Session
The next Parent University meeting will be held on Saturday, July 25, 2015. A full agenda and guest speaker will be announced next week.
As well, we are working on the podcast of Bishop Ben Gibert’s address to Parent University in June 2015. We expect to have it completed by early next week. Below please find a link to his notes!
• Study Skills Class
T.LAB Study Skills Class is ready! Every student between grades 5th through 12th is expected to complete this course! Classes will be held every 1st and 2nd Friday/Saturday of the month. August sessions will start on August 7, 2015, 5:00-7:30 PM and August 8, 2015, 9:00-11:30 AM at DWO.
To prepare for this session, students are expected to bring the following
1. A list of classes for school session beginning the Fall 2015.
2. “Course Outlines” & Syllabus for each class beginning in the Fall 2015
3. Teacher Name and email address.
4. School Name, Address, and Website Address.
• T.LAB Leadership Training
Saturday, July 25, 2015 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM
T.LAB Students in grades 6th through 12th. Case Study Materials will be provided on or before July 18, 2015.
The instructors are Mr. Steve Williams, Dr. Violet Williams, Mr. Joseph Farley, and Mrs. Cassandra Farley.
• The Movie God Is Not Dead
Thanks to your efforts, the Drive In at DWO was a success! The event raised $1100. Our Parent Committee, led by Mrs. Dorothy Hanlon, Mr. Steward Boswell, and Mr. and Mrs. Thomas, and Mrs. Williams did an outstanding job. As well, our student leaders were outstanding! Our student leaders were Ephraim Gibson, Brianna Williams, Alanna Williams, Erica Boswell, Courtnie Thomas, and Casandra Thomas. We had over twenty student volunteers including Destiny Zone and t.Lab students. Finally, we received donations of soft drinks, cash, and snacks from t.Lab parents and well wishers. Great Movie, Great Night, Thanks to all!
• T.LAB will be selling 4 iMacs with the following specifications:
3.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
3 GB Memory 800MHz DDR2 DRAM
ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
250 GB SATA Disk
For inquiries please call (888) 327-3387 ext. 100
DECEMBER 1-6, 2014
• Financing College Seminar, Saturday, December 6, 2014. T.LAB is hosting a seminar on financing college! This event will begin at 11:00 AM and end at 1:00 PM. This event will feature Mr. Jeffrey Taylor, college-financing expert. There will be prizes and giveaways. This is a free event. Please send your RVSP to email@example.com.
• ACT Preparation and Testing. We will be conducting ACT preparation during the weeks of 12/1 and 12/8 for High School Juniors and Seniors. Sessions will be conducted using the Internet. As well, we are conducting sessions for students in grades 6 through 10th on Saturday, December 13, 2014. This session will be held from 8:45 AM through 1:00 PM. Please send your RVSP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• T.LAB – Academic Regimen & Weekly Review Training: We are conducting training for all Parents and students on Saturday, December 13, 2014 from 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM. Completing this training will enable completion of Learning Plans and Tutoring Schedules. This session will assist parents and students with completing academic regimen (homework plan) and conducting the weekly review meeting. If you have completed these tasks – attendance is not necessary.
1. Completing academic regimen (homework plans)
2. Role play Weekly Review Meeting
3. Review proposed tutor schedules
4. Student Learning Plans
• The 3rd Annual Bishop Ben Gibert Oratory Contest will be held on January 10, 2015 and January 19, 2015. Every T.LAB student is expected to participate. The registration fee is $15.00. Students will compete in one of 3 groups K-4th grade, 5th-8th grade, and 9th-12th grade. The prizes for each group are $150, $100, and $75. Winners from each group will compete for a “winner take all prize” of a brand new Mac Book Pro Computer. The contest rules and topics can be accessed on the registration website www.tlab-globalevents.com/oratory
• Public Speaking Training: We will begin public speaking training in December 2014. Classes will be held on Thursday and Saturday. To register your student, please contact us at 888 327-3387 ext. 100. These sessions will assist students with preparing for the oratory contest.
• Christmas Holiday Schedule: Merry Christmas! In observance of the Christmas Holiday, TLAB@DWO will not be open on the following days: December 24, 25, and 26. As well, T.LAB will be closed on December 31, 2014 January 1 and 2, 2015. Please contact us at 888 327-3387 with any questions or comments.
• Attention all T.LAB Student Musicians! We need 50 students to form a T.LAB Orchestra! Students will begin rehearsal in November 2014. Rehearsals will be held on Thursdays at DWO. The T.LAB Orchestra will play at the Black Tie Ball on Friday, March 27,2015.
• Attention all T.LAB Parents and Students! We are requesting every T.LAB student to participate in the National Hour of Code. This event will be held in December 2014. It will require each student to access Khan Academy and use a software development tool, while developing knowledge of a computer science function. The organization with the greatest level of coding by its students will qualify for a monetary grant.
• Training for the Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) will be held during the month of December 2014. We will need a minimum of 10 participants to register for the training sessions. Please call (888) 327-3387 Ext. 0 to R.S.V.P.
• T.LAB Parent University! The next session will be held on Saturday, December 19, 2014. The session will begin at 9:00 AM and end at 11:00 AM. This is a critical session, the agenda will include:
1. T.LAB Scorecard –(performance measurements)
2. Student Tutoring Schedule
3. Student Learning Plans
4. Computer Skills Training & Certification Schedules
• T.LAB Toastmasters! T.LAB has established a Toastmasters organization! Toastmaster’s provides opportunities for individuals to develop and enhance public speaking skills. The next session will be held on Saturday, December 19, 2014. The session will begin at 11:30 AM and end at 1:30 PM. This opportunity is for parents and adults!
PREVIOUS T.LAB HOT ITEMS
June 1-30 , 2015
Saturday, June 27, 2015 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM Guest Speaker; Bishop B.A. Gibert, Senior Pastor Detroit World Outreach Church, addressing “Educating Our Children In the 21th Century” and 3rd Annual Bishop Gibert Oratory Contest Awards
T.LAB Leadership Training
Saturday, June 27, 2015 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM
T.LAB Students in grades 6th through 12th.
President John F. Kennedy Leadership Case Study.
The instructors are Mr. Steve Williams, Dr. Violet Williams, and Mrs. Cassandra Farley. Students will join parents in the Chapel for Bishop Gibert’s address at 10:00 AM
The Movie “Selma” Drive In at DWO
On Friday, July 3, 2015 7:00 PM – 11:00 PM
T.LAB Students will operate the concessions. This is a fundraising opportunity, please donate your time and/or soft drinks, snacks, and baked goods for fundraising purposes
Please contact Mrs. Dorothy Hanlon at 888 327-3387 Ext 0, or Email: email@example.com
Academic Summer Camps
T.LAB is hosting a series (3) of summer camps from Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 4:00 PM. Camps include breakfast, lunch, and snack. Camp fees are $325 and $350, for elementary (3rd-6th grade) and middle/high school respectively. The schedule is:
July 6 – July 10, 2015, 3rd – 6th grade
July 13 – July 17, 2015, 7th - 9th grade
July 20 – July 24, 2015, 10th – 12th grade
T.LAB Study Skills Class is ready! Every student between grades 5th through 12th is expected to complete this course! Classes will be held on Friday evenings and Saturday mornings.
T.LAB has completed launch of a new Student Management System including learning plans, leadership assessment, and skill improvement. The system is available for use immediately. Please contact Mrs. Sherry Meruena at 888 327-3387 ext. 0
Student Quarterly Review Sessions:
T.LAB has been conducting review sessions with parents and students during the months of April, May, and June 2015. The purpose of the meeting is to confirm academic performance for 1st Quarter 2015, while confirming new student goals for the months of June through September 2015. If you have not participated in a quarterly review session, please contact Sherry Meruena at 888 327-3387 ext. 0.
New Staff Members:
Ms. Annaliece Hanlon, Tutor, Grades K-12th
(Ms. Hanlon will assume the tutoring responsibilities of Ms. Alise Thompson.)
Mrs. Melissa Hill-Pearson, Tutor & Coach, Grades K-4th
Please add - other new staff members
Departing Staff Members:
Ms. Alise Thompson
Please join us in wishing Ms. Thompson well in her new endeavors!